Monday, April 27, 2009

T-minus 6 days and counting...

In 6 days, I will be taking my first official vacation in 5 years. That's right, I have not been on an actual vacation since going to The Bahamas with Lauren back in July 2004. Ridiculous, right?! And I am just 8 days away from a fabulous trip to visit my cousin Melissa in Hilton Head, SC. I'm hoping to visit Lauren at her new apartment on Sunday and/or Monday (sushi date and possible day trip to Ocean City?), then hop in the car early Tuesday and venture down to HH! I'm not really looking forward to making a 9-10 hour drive by myself--I'm actually dreading it--but I should be ok as long as I have technology (cell phone, iPod, Garmin). The longest trip I've made solo was to Roanoke College in Salem, VA in October 2008 to catch one of Grace's volleyball games. It was a 5/5.5 hour drive and, naturally, I only slept about 2 hours the night before; fortunately I was able to stop at Drew's place in Silver Spring on the way home to break up the monotony of spending 11 hours on the road in one day.

Anyway... I'm really excited about visiting Melissa because I haven't seen her in what seems like about 10 years, though it's entirely possible that it's been longer. I'll get to meet her daughter/my second-cousin Sophie and catch up on everything; I'm pretty sure the last time I saw her, we were both still sitting at the kiddie table at Thanksgiving dinner. I'm planning on spending a lot of time at the beach (her place is just 10 minutes away) and relaxing, because my stress levels have been sky-high lately. And to top it all off, we're catching G. Love on Saturday night before I head home on Sunday morning!

Now I just have to get out of the jury duty trial I've been summoned for on May 8, and I'm golden (I know, I should probably submit this to FML because only I would be summoned for jury duty smack-dab in the middle of the first vacation I've scheduled in 5 years). But at this rate, if I can't get out of it, they're just going to have to arrest me because this girl is not missing out on her vacation, that's for damn sure!!!

No comments: