Jamie's most recent blog post regarding boyfriend requirements really got me thinking about the subject. Ok, ok... not really, but it did sorta get the ball rolling. I mean I have my basic requirements--you know: funny, attractive, and loyal--but I feel as though I should create some sort of system/application in an attempt to weed out the shitheads, so here it goes...The requirements would be as follows (beginning with, and expanding upon, my basic three):
Funny: Marilyn Monroe said it best with "If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything." It's completely true... I love to laugh, so a phenomenal sense of humor is the #1 key to my heart. One liners are totally legit, and I'll definitely bond with you over movie quotes (I'm a huge movie nerd so I appreciate that quality in others as well). Being able to laugh at yourself is redeeming, however, when laughter is at the expense of other people (including myself), it totally loses value and actually counts against you. Plus I enjoy funny movies (I rarely watch anything else) and stand-up comedy/comedy clubs, so I'd like someone who would enjoy them with me.
Attractive: I'm not as vain as most, but I will admit that looks are relatively important. I mean, you don't have to be Adonis, but I have to be attracted to you in some way. I don't really have a type, but I prefer darker hair, and the ability to tan (as opposed to burn and then peel... gross). Let's be real: I couldn't really date anyone with a fair complexion, because in the summer time we'd be like night and day... literally. And while I'm at it, I also prefer guys who are taller (at least 5'8) and weigh more (at least 165) than myself with an athletic body type (actually playing sports is a plus). The height and weight requirement are a security thing... I can't be on the same eye level as my guy, and I certainly can't weigh more than him (and I weigh more than I look). Lastly, he needs to look good and be able to dress himself, while not being high maintenance; I'm far from high maintenance so I don't want to be sitting around waiting for you to get ready, only to have you looking hotter than I do. A nice smile and/or gorgeous eyes will make me swoon... I love eye contact.
Loyal: I do not share; blame it on being an only child, but I don't think it's much to ask. I'm not saying I want someone to follow me around like a lost puppy dog, because that would surely drive me insane, but I don't have the time/energy/desire to constantly wonder what you're up to. At the end of the day, I want to spend time with you and I want you to want you to spend time with me... you know, snugggsss.
Music: We need to share interest in at least share one or two genres of music. If we share interest in the same bands, I'll probably love you forever (or at least we'll stay friends should things come to an end). I love live music, so a shared appreciation is a plus. That being said, I think it's sweet when guys protect girls from mosh pits and crowdsurfers at concerts, even though most consider it a common courtesy. And while I have a wide appreciation of musical genres, I avoid two of them like the plague: emo, and Christian. If you listen to one or both of those on a regular basis, it's probably not going to work. That being said, if you're super religious, it's definitely not going to work. But I'll get into that later...
Independent: I have my own interests and hobbies, and I'd like you to have your own as well. Hopefully some of mine will overlap some of yours, like a Venn Diagram, so we'll have something to talk about other than the weather. I love to learn, so teach me about something... like sports! I love sports but know very little about them (aside from volleyball, tennis, lacrosse, and soccer).
Fun: I need a guy who can hang without getting too sloppy. I realize we all have a night here and there where we get completely ridiculous, but I don't want to constantly worry about you when we go to a party/bar, or your behavior when you go out with your boys. There's no way to say this without sounding like an alcoholic, but my guy has to be able to hold his booze; if I can out-drink you, we may have a problem.
Other "brownie point" characteristics that will make me melt: spontaneous (keep me on my toes!), romantic but not sappy (cute, random gestures here and there will make me melt... just don't ever buy me roses because they are my least favorite flower), ability to cook (or at least willing to clean up after I cook), ambitious (no one likes a deadbeat), takes charge without being bossy (I'm often indecisive), laid back (but not too laid back because I've been known to associate that with disinterest), snuggler (probably my most favorite activity, even though I'm going to get too hot in the middle of the night and push you away), athletic (the only thing I love more than sporting events is the ability to brag about someone participating in them--and hopefully kicking ass, retention of movie quotes and/or song lyrics (ability to sing or play music instrument is a plus), dancer (I love to dance, and will want you to dance with me... if you don't, I'll have my girl friends to dance with, but I'd rather dance with you), and open-minded to trying new things (like food, or other things... hehe).
Things that will make me run for the hills as fast as my legs will carry me: more emotional/feminine than myself, narcissistic, passive, moderate to severe lack of motivation, baggage (i.e. baby mama/ex-girlfriend drama), and hard drug use (the only drugs I'm ok with are alcohol and pot... in moderation, no one likes a stoner).
Well, seeing as it's after 2am, I'm going to sign off for the night. But I'm sure I'll be editing this post sometime soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment