Monday, June 1, 2009

Fabo-lous weekend...

My TFLN of the day= (404): You can't special order awesome.

Recap of this weekend: graduation party with mom for some quality time with my dad's side of the family, wine night with the Fabo, SoBo's Wine Bistro, House Cured Ahi Tuna, Goat Cheese Caprese, Velvet Asparagus soup, "I'll velvet your asparagus...", Riesling, The Hermit Crab, Tahitian Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee, moderately attractive waiters from New York, the possibility of an encounter with wine goggles, Team Ta-Ta's nostalgia and typical obnoxious wine-fuelled laughter, SNL Digital Shorts, "p. loafs and pale stems", Motherlover, Beach Day, cloudy mornings, strawberry muffins, obsessively checking weather.com and stepping outside for temperature updates, Wawa, 16th Street, off-shore boat racing, seagulls, cursing at seagulls, "Red Shorts", Total Eclipse of the Heart, sunburn, bitchy lifeguards, 
Fisher's popcorn, "Is that spelled with a 'c'?", Boom Boom Pow, "What's up, ladies?... "Ew, gross!", typical Ocean City creepers,  "This is why I hate Ocean City!", The Royalton, "So sometimes I act like I'm 13. Who let me buy a camera phone?", 
Big Peckers, softshell crabs, blackened tuna, Blueberry Lemonade, Mango Tango, overpriced mini-drinks, gorgeous sunsets, random signless detours, MTV Movie Awards, Andy Samberg. All in all, it was an awesome weekend and some quality time with the Fabo was definitely way overdue. I made it home by 12:30 and promptly crawled into bed.

Today was pretty awesome as well. My jury duty trial was cancelled so I slept til 9 then spent the majority of the day outside by the pool. I picked fresh strawberries from the garden (see picture below) to bake more muffins and then had a spur of the moment cookout with my parents that included toasting marshmallows. The past three days have really reminded me why I love summer.

Anyway, here are two of my favorite recipes, per request of the Fabo. I'm hoping she doesn't burn down her fabulous new apartment when she tries them out. Haha, just kidding... you know I love you! Back story: The kitchen in her old house may or may not have almost caught fire...

Strawberry Muffins

1 c oat flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
2 eggs
1 c yogurt
1/4 c butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped strawberries 

Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl, mix together flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, mix eggs, yogurt, butter, and vanilla. Toss strawberries in the flour mixture. Then pour yogurt mixture into flour mixture and stir. Spoon batter into greased muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes then cool on a wire rack. Yields 12 muffins.

Orange-Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 c butter
1 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
2 c rolled oats
2 tbsp orange zest
1 c chopped dried cranberries

In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat til combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange zest til combined. Mix in flour. Mix in the rolled oats and chopped dried cranberries, stirring by hand if necessary. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375° oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Makes about 4 dozen.

No comments: