Fun fact: I should probably note that this is the first time I've ran down my road since July. I was 5-5.5 miles into a 6 mile route when a car slowed down and two guys tried to pick me up. Needless to say, I pretty much sprinted the remaining distance home and decided I'd rather pay $60 a month to use a treadmill, with a built-in TV so that I can watch The History Channel or Discovery Channel during my runs while listening to my iPod, than run down my road again and risk being kidnapped.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
A better understanding...
I went for a run this afternoon. I only logged three miles, but it was a good run. Since joining the gym, I've been doing all of my running--five miles at a time--on a treadmill. But there's something to be said about running outdoors. I truly enjoy it... and especially when the weather is brisk. As usual, I looked like the Nike poster child (that's what Emily called me on Sunday when we ran the Nike+ Women's Half Marathon through our iPods) bundled up in my thermal running tights and coldweather hoody (over two more layers of Nike). I can't help that my job has forced me into an obsession with all things DriFit... even socks (which is unfortunate, because even with my discount, I'm still paying about $5 a pair). One time, a girl at the gym's front desk complimented my workout gear so I told her she could come to Nike and I'd help her pick out a workout wardrobe. But all that aside, I spent some time reflecting on life as I stretched after my run. I had left the back/deck door unlocked for when I came back, and the deck overlooks our backyard. There's the barn and fields where we kept my horses when I was younger, the fish pond we spent a summer designing, digging, and landscaping, and the pool which we covered today; covering the pool always makes me sad because, in my mind, summer is officially over--only this summer, I was busy working 40+ hour weeks and had no actual vacation. Granted, I went to two amazing concerts with my best friend Lauren, but no week at the beach or anything of that nature. But back to my reflections... I realized how much I enjoy running. Even though I listen to music as I run, I tend to focus on the pattern of my feet hitting the ground, and I can honestly say it's one of the few things that soothes and relaxes me. The brisk air this afternoon shocked my lungs and sinuses at first, and I was concerned that my knee might start to bother me, but after a quarter mile I was pain- and worry- free and feeling awesome. TNT by AC/DC was on my iPod and my legs were taking me along for the ride. When I'm running, everything makes sense--my stresses disappear and I'm in a nearly perfect world. After today, I have a better understanding of the concept of a "runner's high." I realize runner's high typically references adrenaline and endorphins, but I think there's an emotional/mental aspect beyond the biological/scientific explanation. Regardless, I'm feeling pretty damn good. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
JEN! You're on blogger now. My life is complete.
Actually, my life won't be complete until I'm within a 20 mile radius of you again, but that's another story. I miss your face, fabo.
Post a Comment